All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMere Christianity and Moral Christianity defends the biblical doctrine of unconditional security by demonstrating that perseverance in faith cant be made a condition for reaching heaven without teaching salvation by works. An extended prologue and introduction prepare the reader for the more advanced material in the body of the book by sharing personal examples regarding the urgent need of such a book to counteract the prevalent legalism typically encountered within the church and within popular evangelism. The first chapter interacts with C. S. Lewis. Positive interaction with his philosophical defense of Christianity and Jesus' Deity is followed by critical discussion of his Arminian views regarding conditional security. The second chapter explores a related Reformed perspective from Jonathan Edwards. A parallel perspective within Catholicism regarding merit by Thomas Aquinas is explained. The third chapter interacts with contemporary Arminian and Calvinistic authors. Appendix one shows that the ordo apostasia that would be necessary for the loss of the gift of eternal life is biblically impossible. The objection that moral performance is merely necessary evidence rather than a condition for the retention of eternal life is evaluated and rejected in appendix two. Appendix three demonstrates that moral repentance necessarily entails merit and therefore cant be a condition for entrance into heaven. Appendix four locates moral repentance within the gospel of the kingdom, which is a substratum of the gospel of Jesus. The gospel of grace, which is the aspect upon which one's security from eternal damnation is solely conditioned, does t contain a call for repentance as a theological condition for such salvation. Benefits of this book to the reader include providing a solid foundation for understanding how performance-related concepts such as repentance, commitment, and perseverance can play a positive role without being made a legalistic distraction.
- Author BiographyMarty Cauley earned his B.S. from Western Carolina University and his M.Div. from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (where he was also a co-recipient of the Advanced Greek Award). He is the son of a retired Southern Baptist pastor who also graduated from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Marty has served as the pastor of Southern Baptist churches himself and is currently employed in the computer industry. He and his wife, Dianne, reside in Sylva, North Carolina. They have two sons, Jeremy and Jonathan (with whom he loves to share his passion for biblical research and memorization). He fondly recalls having memorized the Pastoral Epistles with his sons when they were younger. His sons quoted these epistles in their entirety in the AWANA program at the churches they were then attending. Marty has performed dramatic recitations of the Gospel of Mark (among other passages of Scripture).
- Author(s)Marty Cauley
- Date of Publication29/07/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight626 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.