All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDiscover how Benjamin Franklin s scientific method challenged a certain Dr. Mesmer s mysterious powers in a whimsical look at a true moment in history. The day Ben Franklin first set foot in Paris, France, he found the city all abuzz. Everyone was talking about something new remarkable, thrilling, and strange. Something called . . . Science! But soon the straightforward American inventor Benjamin Franklin is upstaged by a compelling and enigmatic figure: Dr. Mesmer. In elaborately staged shows, Mesmer, wearing a fancy coat of purple silk and carrying an iron wand, convinces the people of Paris that he controls a magic force that can make water taste like a hundred different things, cure illness, and control thoughts! But Ben Franklin is t convinced. Will his practical approach of observing, hypothesizing, and testing get to the bottom of the mysterious Mesmer s tricks? A rip-roaring, lavishly illustrated peek into a fascinating moment in history shows the development and practice of the scientific method and reveals the amazing power of the human mind.
- Author BiographyMara Rockliff is the author of many books for children, including The Busiest Street in Town and Me and Momma and Big John, winner of a Golden Kite Award. Mara Rockliff lives in eastern Pennsylvania with her family. Iacopo Bruno is an illustrator and graphic designer living in Milan, Italy.
- Author(s)Mara Rockliff
- PublisherCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/02/2015
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Maths, Science & Technical
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width246 mm
- Height277 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Iacopo Bruno
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,Picture book
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.