All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe literary imagination may take flight on the wings of metaphor, but hard-headed scientists are just as likely as doe-eyed poets to reach for a metaphor when the descriptive need arises. Metaphor is a pervasive aspect of every genre of text and every register of speech, and is as useful for describing the inner workings of a black hole (itself a metaphor) as it is the affairs of the human heart. The ubiquity of metaphor in natural language thus poses a significant challenge for Natural Language Processing (NLP) systems and their builders, who cant afford to wait until the problems of literal language have been solved before turning their attention to figurative phemena. This book offers a comprehensive approach to the computational treatment of metaphor and its figurative brethren-including simile, analogy, and conceptual blending-that does t shy away from their important cognitive and philosophical dimensions. Veale, Shutova, and Beigman Klebav approach metaphor from multiple computational perspectives, providing coverage of both symbolic and statistical approaches to interpretation and paraphrase generation, while also considering key contributions from philosophy on what constitutes the meaning of a metaphor. This book also surveys available metaphor corpora and discusses protocols for metaphor antation. Any reader with an interest in metaphor, from beginning researchers to seasoned scholars, will find this book to be an invaluable guide to what is a fascinating linguistic phemen.
- Author BiographyTony Veale, University College Dublin, Ireland. Ekaterina Shutova, University of Cambridge, UK> Beata Beigman Klebanov, Educational Testing Service.
- Author(s)Beata Beigman Klebanov,Ekaterina Shutova,Tony Veale
- PublisherMorgan & Claypool Publishers
- Date of Publication31/05/2016
- Series TitleSynthesis Lectures on Human Language Technologies
- Place of PublicationSan Rafael, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMorgan and Claypool Life Sciences
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight290 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.