All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers a critical perspective on cognitive approaches to metaphor, metonymy, and the philosophical background underpinning experientialist semantics. Particular emphasis is placed on the works of George Lakoff, Mark Johnson and congenial cognitivists. Verena Haser suggests that we abandon some familiar methodological principles connected with experientialist research. Instead, she proposes a new perspective on the distinction between metaphor and metonymy and provides an account of metaphorical transfer that does t rely on the tion of conceptual metaphor. Close readings of key passages from writings by Lakoff and Johnson, among others, are the basis of a detailed criticism of key experientialist tenets. This book will be relevant to students and scholars interested in semantics and cognitive linguistics, and also in psychology and philosophy of language.
- Author BiographyVerena Haser is Assistant Professor at Albert-Ludwigs University Freiburg, Germany.
- Author(s)Verena Haser
- PublisherWalter de Gruyter & Co
- Date of Publication17/01/2005
- Series TitleTopics in English Linguistics [TIEL]
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 49
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintMouton de Gruyter
- Content Note5 black & white illustrations, 5 schw.-w. Abb.
- Weight594 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Interest AgeCollege Graduate Student
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.