All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis study is an attempt to semantically decompose the most popular metaphorical expressions associated with two particular Web 2.0 practices: social networks and folksomies. What is a friend on a social networking Web site like MySpace and StudiVZ? Is it polite to poke strangers on Facebook and give them fives on hi5? How can we subscribe to RSS feeds, if we don't pay subscription fees? Do we really broadcast ourselves on our YouTube channels? These and other similar questions are dealt with from the perspective of the referential and the conceptual approaches to meaning, i.e., what these words stand for (referential/extensional approach) and which concepts they signify (conceptual/intensional approach). Thus, from the referential point of view, a friend on MySpace is only a hyperlink directing to a profile page of ather MySpace user. But from the intensional point of view, a friend is a subscriber to the content generated by the profile owner.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Alexander Tokar, born in 1980 in Kursk (Russia), holds degrees in English and German philology from the Universities of Kursk (2002) and Dusseldorf (2005). In December 2008 he obtained his Ph.D. in English Studies from the University of Dusseldorf. Since 2006 he has worked at the Department of English Linguistics of the University of Dusseldorf as a research assistant.
- Author(s)Alexander Tokar
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/08/2009
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften Reihe 14: Angelsachsische Sprache und Literatur
- Series Part/Volume Number450
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note24, 24 ill.
- Weight210 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.