All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe contributions of electron microscopy to membrane biology have been indispensable and, at the same time, disappointing. Membranes were kwn to exist before the advent of electron microscopy and general principles of their composition and molecular organization had been deduced from permeability and electrical conductivity measurements, polarized light microscopy, and X-ray diffraction. On the other hand, the complexities of the many intracellular membranes and membraus organelles were really t suspected until they were observed by the electron microscopist. One then had further hopes that the high resolution of the electron microscope (theoretically it can resolve atomic distances) would allow the visualization of the molecular architecture of membranes and lead directly to an under- standing of structure and function at the molecular level. This expectation has been largely unrealized. Because of the great difficulties encountered in the preparation of biological material, because of the uncertainty of the chemistry of staining, and because of numerous electron optical artifacts, it has been a major challenge just to rationalize the observed images in terms of the kwn facts, let alone to utilize the images to expand our kwledge of the molecular structure of biological membranes. The many differences among membranes with respect to function and composition are lost in the universal trilamellar image. Perhaps the one major exception to this, and the major structural contribution of electron microscopy at the molecular level, has come from freeze-etch electron microscopy.
- Author(s)Edward D. Korn
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication31/07/2013
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note57 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight425 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.