All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionIn Metroimperial Intimacies Victor Roman Mendoza combines historical, literary, and archival analysis with queer-of-color critique to show how U.S. imperial incursions into the Philippines enabled the growth of unprecedented social and sexual intimacies between native Philippine and U.S. subjects. The real and imagined intimacies-whether expressed through friendship, love, or eroticism-threatened U.S. gender and sexuality rms. To codify U.S. heterormative behavior, the colonial government prohibited anything loosely defined as perverse, which along with popular representations of Filipis, regulated colonial subjects and depicted them as sexually available, diseased, and degenerate. Mendoza analyzes laws, military records, the writing of Philippine students in the United States, and popular representations of Philippine colonial subjects to show how their lives, bodies, and desires became the very battleground for the consolidation of repressive legal, ecomic, and political institutions and practices of the U.S. colonial state. By highlighting the importance of racial and gendered violence in maintaining control at home and abroad, Mendoza demonstrates that studies of U.S. sexuality must take into account the reach and impact of U. S. imperialism.
- Author BiographyVictor Roman Mendoza is Assistant Professor of Women's Studies and English at the University of Michigan.
- Author(s)Victor Mendoza
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication26/11/2015
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitlePerverse Modernities: A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note18 illustrations
- Weight545 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.