All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionIn this provocative and accessible urban history, Lila Corwin Berman considers the role that Detroit's Jews played in the city's well-kwn narrative of migration and decline. Taking its cue from social critics and historians who have long looked toward Detroit to understand twentieth-century urban transformations, Metropolitan Jews tells the story of Jews leaving the city while retaining a deep connection to it. Berman argues convincingly that though most Jews moved to the suburbs, urban abandonment, disinvestment, and an embrace of conservatism did t invariably accompany their moves. Instead, the Jewish postwar migration was marked by an enduring commitment to a newly fashioned urbanism with a vision of self, community, and society that persisted well beyond city limits. Complex and subtle, Metropolitan Jews pushes urban scholarship beyond the tenacious black/white, urban/suburban dichotomy. It demands a more nuanced understanding of the process and politics of suburbanization and will reframe how we think about the American urban experiment and modern Jewish history.
- Author BiographyLila Corwin Berman is associate professor of history and the Murray Friedman Professor and Director of the Feinstein Center for American Jewish History at Temple University. She is the author of Speaking of Jews: Rabbis, Intellectuals, and the Creation of an American Public Identity.
- Author(s)Lila Corwin Berman
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication29/05/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleHistorical Studies of Urban America
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note30 halftones
- Weight590 g
- Width90 mm
- Height60 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.