All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThis study is a reinterpretation of nineteenth-century Mexican American history, examining Mexico's struggle to secure its rthern border with repatriates from the United States, following a war that resulted in the loss of half Mexico's territory. Responding to past interpretations, Jose Angel Hernandez suggests that these resettlement schemes centred on developments within the frontier region, the modernisation of the country with loyal Mexican American settlers, and blocking the tide of migrations to the United States to prevent the depopulation of its fractured rthern border. Through an examination of Mexico's immigration and colonisation policies as they developed in the nineteenth century, this book focuses primarily on the population of Mexican citizens who were 'lost' after the end of the Mexican American War of 1846-8 until the end of the century.
- Author BiographyJose Angel Hernandez is Assistant Professor of History at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. He has published articles in Aztlan: A Journal of Chicano Studies and Mexican Studies/Estudios Mexicanos, as well as Landscapes of Violence: An Interdisciplinary Journal Devoted to the Study of Violence, Conflict, and Trauma. He has received fellowships from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Trustee Fellowship, the Fulbright-Hayes Dissertation Fellowship and the Center for Mexican American Studies Fellowship from the University of Houston. At Massachusetts, Professor Hernandez has received a Lilly Teaching Fellowship and has also been a Center for Public Policy and Administration Workshop Fellow. He was Center for Latin American, Caribbean and Latina/o Studies Faculty Fellow for the academic year 2011.
- Author(s)Jose Angel Hernandez
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note4 b/w illus. 5 maps
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.