All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNewbery Award-winning author Matt de la Pena's Mexican Whiteboy is a story of friendship, baseball, acceptance, and the struggle to find your identity in a world of definitions. Danny's tall and skinny. Even though he s t built, his arms are long eugh to give his pitch a power so fierce any college scout would sign him on the spot. Ninety-five mile an hour fastball, but the boy s t even on a team. Every time he gets up on the mound he loses it. But at his private school, they don t expect much else from him. Danny s brown. Half-Mexican brown. And growing up in San Diego that close to the border means everyone else kws exactly who he is before he even opens his mouth. Before they find out he can t speak Spanish, and before they realize his mom has blond hair and blue eyes, they ve got him pegged. But it works the other way too. And Danny s convinced it s his whiteness that sent his father back to Mexico. That s why he s spending the summer with his dad s family. Only, to find himself, he may just have to face the demons he refuses to see--the demons that are right in front of his face. And open up to a friendship he never saw coming. [A] first-rate exploration of self-identity. -School Library JournalUnique in its gritty realism and honest portrayal of the complexities of life for inner-city teens...De la Pena poignantly conveys the message that, despite obstacles, you must believe in yourself and shape your own future. -The Horn Book Magazine De la Pena does an excellent job...Readers see themselves in Danny, U, and Sofia, whether or t they share their backgrounds. In the end, they find themselves wanting the characters to succeed. -VOYAThe baseball scenes...sizzle like Danny's fastball...Danny's struggle to find his place will speak strongly to all teens, but especially to those of mixed race. -BooklistDe la Pena blends sports and street together in a satisfying search for personal identity. -Kirkus Reviews Deftly explores the subject of interracial mixing. -Multicultural Review Matt de la Pena has done the impossible; fired a perfect fastball on the low inside corner and hit a towering home run at the same time. A tough, funny, edgy, hopeful story about friendship under fire and love in its true sense. -Chris Crutcher, author of Deadline and Whale Talk Mexican Whiteboy...shows that matter what obstacles you face, you can still reach your dreams with a positive attitude. This is more than a book about a baseball player--this is a book about life. -Curtis Granderson, New York Mets outfielder An ALA-YALSA Top Ten Best Book for Young Adults A Junior Library Guild SelectionFrom the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyMexican WhiteBoy is Newbery Award-winning author Matt de la Pena s second novel. He attended the University of the Pacific on a basketball scholarship and went on to earn a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing at San Diego State University. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, where he teaches creative writing. Look for Matt's other books, Ball Don t Lie, We Were Here, I Will Save You, and The Living, for which he received the Pura Belpre Author Honor Award, all available from Delacorte Press. You can also visit him at mattdelapena.com and follow @mattdelapena on Twitter. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Matt De La Pena
- PublisherDelacorte Press
- Date of Publication12/01/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDelacorte Press
- Weight204 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.50Trending at AU $29.45
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $33.44
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.85
- AU $14.41Trending at AU $14.92
- AU $11.16Trending at AU $15.72
- AU $36.86Trending at AU $44.14
- AU $11.55Trending at AU $11.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.