All listings for this product
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $65.00Trending at AU $84.36
- AU $25.54Trending at AU $39.58
- AU $40.28Trending at AU $43.27
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $26.52
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.86
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $21.76
- AU $12.95Trending at AU $15.83
About this product
- DescriptionMexico City is a place of superlatives. The oldest city in the Americas, it is w the world's largest urban area. Formerly the centre of the Aztec and Spanish empires, this vast modern metropolis is home to over fifteen million people, mirroring Mexico's mixed cultural identity. Rapid growth and industrial expansion have created dramatic environmental problems, turning Mexico City into what has been called the first 'post-apocalypse' city. Polluted and congested, it is slowly sinking into the lake on which the Spanish founded their symbol of conquest. Nick Caistor explores this city of extremes, revealing its turbulent past and chaotic present through its urban landscape. Looking at Aztec ruins, baroque monuments and modernistic complexes, he traces the history of a volatile and vibrant city, where conquest, revolution and natural disaster have left their marks. THE CITY OF ARTISTS, WRITERS AND REVOLUTIONARIES: Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, Octavio Paz and Carlos Fuentes, Zapata, Villa and Trotsky. THE CITY OF INDIGENOUS MEXICO: the living legacy of the Aztecs' Techtitlan; museums, festivals and markets; modern indigeus culture. THE CITY OF MODERNITY: skyscrapers, highways and flyovers; the stock exchange and industrial sprawl; where the Third World meets the First.
- Author BiographyNICK CAISTOR is a writer, translator and broadcaster, who has written widely on Latin American culture and politics.
- Author(s)Nick Caistor
- PublisherSignal Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/1999
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleCities of the Imagination
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 3
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSignal Books Ltd
- Content Notemaps, line drawings, b&w photos, index, bibliog
- Weight284 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Foreword byElena Poniatowska
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.