All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1960, before his skyscrapers and teapots made him a household name, Michael Graves set out on a journey once considered obligatory for a young architect: a grand tour of the great monuments of Europe. Recipient of the prestigious Prix de Rome, Graves traveled through Italy, Greece, Turkey, Spain, England, Germany, and France, studying and recording the masterworks of ancient and modern architecture. Michael Graves: Images of A Grand Tour collects the stunning artwork produced during this trip. Delicate pencil sketches, striking ink washes, and colorful photographs show the deep connection between Graves and the places he visited, from the Roman Forum to the Grecian Acropolis to Wiltshire's Stonehenge. They also tell something of the education of an architect, bringing to light the classical buildings and painterly instinct that led Graves to reexamine his early devotion to modernism. A foreword by Graves reflects on these travels from the distance of forty years, while author Brian Ambroziak puts the tour into the context of Graves's career. This special slipcased edition is printing in a limited quantity of only 1,500 copies in hor of Graves, who died in March 2015 at the age of eighty.
- Author BiographyBrian M. Ambroziak studied under Michael Graves at Princeton University and worked for four years as a project designer for Michael Graves & Associates. In 1999, he co-authored Infinite Perspectives: Two Thousand Years of Three-Dimensional Mapmaking. He is an assistant professor at the University of Tennessee's College of Architecture and Design. Michael Graves (1934-2015) was a prominent American architect and designer, first known for his contemporary building designs and some prominent public commissions that became iconic examples of Postmodern architecture. Later in his career his recognition grew through designing domestic products for Alessi as well as Target.
- Author(s)Brian M Ambroziak
- PublisherPrinceton Architectural Press
- Date of Publication21/03/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton Architectural Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1202 g
- Width188 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.