All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMicrofinance is defined as the financial services offered to the poor for the purpose of promoting small-scale enterprises, and as such it is one of the most important topics in development studies and a burgeoning area in ecomics. This volume provides a much-needed historical, political and ecomic dimension to the current kwledge on microfinance. Collectively, the contributors chart the relationship between the prevailing popularity of microfinance and the consolidation of neoliberal ecomic ideology worldwide. They demonstrate how microfinance, as a market-friendly approach to development, coincides with the global trend towards diminishing the role of the state in ecomic development, basic healthcare, education and welfare. The articles in the volume focus on the empirical analyses of the experience of microfinance in women's everyday lives, but rejects the connection between microfinance and women's empowerment so often imputed in literature. This book offers regional, cultural and other explanations for variable assessments of microfinance and empowerment. It fills a huge gap in published microfinance literature and will be of great interest to postgraduates and professionals in the fields of ecomics, international finance and banking.
- Author BiographyJude Fernando is Assistant Professor of International Development at Clark University, USA.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/09/2012
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Development Economics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white tables, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byJude L. Fernando
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.41
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.