All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe house remained in the Barlow family for the next three generations, who extended the house, but retained most of its original features. Who hasn't dreamt of escaping the grime and ise of city life for the apparent tranquillity of the countryside? This is exactly what Thomas Barlow achieved by building Middlethorpe Hall south of York in the late 1690s. Sadly, Thomas did t have long to enjoy his creation, dying in 1713 while touring France. The house remained in the Barlow family for the next three generations, who extended the house, but retained most of its original features. During the Victorian era the house was let out as a boarding school and in the 20th century it fell into gradual decline. In 1980 it was rescued by Historic House Hotels, which restored Middlethorpe to its original splendour, whilst installing all the amenities of a modern luxury hotel. This new guidebook tells the fascinating story of Middlethorpe Hall from its original creation to its recent renaissance.
- Author(s)Oliver Garnett
- PublisherNational Trust
- Date of Publication09/02/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationSwindon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Trust
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.