All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe winning manuscript of the fourth annual Hollis Summers Poetry Prize is also the exciting American debut by a poet who has already established himself as an important international poetic voice. Midland, the seventh collection by Kwame Dawes, draws deeply on the poet's travels and experiences in Africa, the Caribbean, England, and the American South. Marked equally by a lushness of imagery, an urgency of tone, and a muscular rhythm, Midland, in the words of the final judge, Eavan Boland, is \u201ca powerful testament of the complexity, pain, and enrichment of inheritance...It is a compelling meditation on what is given and taken away in the acts of generation and influence. Of a father's example and his oppression. There are different places throughout the book. They come willfully in and out of the poems: Jamaica. London. Africa. America. But all the places become one place in the central theme and undersong here: which is displacement...The achievement of this book is a beautifully crafted voice which follows the painful and vivid theme of homelessness in and out of the mysteries of loss and belonging.\u201d Midland is the work of a keen and transcendent intellect, a collection of poems that speaks to the landscape from inside, from an emotional and experiential place of risk and commitment.
- Author BiographyKwame Dawes was born in Ghana, grew up in Jamaica, and studied and taught in New Brunswick, Canada. He has published five volumes of poetry, an anthology of reggae poetry, and a critical volume on reggae music and literature. His first book of poems, Progeny of Air, won the prestigous Forward Poetry Prize. He teaches at the University of South Carolina in Columbia.
- Author(s)Kwame Dawes
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication01/12/2000
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleHollis Summers Poetry Prize
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight141 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine6 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.