All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionForces such as political conflict, globalization and the growth of the internet, offering news of life elsewhere, mean levels of migration are higher w than at any other time in history. Despite the signing of a number of legally binding international treaties that seek to guarantee health care for migrants, there is still a considerable gap between government commitments and the reality of everyday life. As levels of migration continue to increase, it is essential for health care professionals to consider the differing needs of migrants in order to provide them with quality care. Informed by systemic theory, and drawing on the author's extensive clinical - as well as personal - experience, this timely book explores the limited existing information about migrants' health care experiences, and offers recommendations for clinical practice. Providing the reader with an understanding of the ways in which migration informs and is informed by experiences of illness, the book thoroughly examines topics such as: * Links between migration and physical and mental health * Language barriers and prejudice * The effects of migration on feelings of grief and loss * The real challenges of providing effective health care to migrants, as told by a GP working with mostly first or second generation migrants in the UK Providing a comprehensive insight into a worldwide issue, this is an essential guide for health care students, professionals and policy makers.
- Author BiographyJenny Altschuler is a registered Clinical Psychologist and Family Psychotherapist with over thirty years of experience of offering family, couple and individual psychotherapy, supervision, consultation and teaching as part of the NHS as well as privately.
- Author(s)Jenny Altschuler
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication08/07/2016
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2016
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note3 diagrames
- Weight443 g
- Width154 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.