All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis edited collection focuses on global migration in its inter-regional, international and transnational variants, and argues that contemporary migration scholarship is significantly advanced both within anthropology and beyond it when ethgraphy is theoretically engaged to grapple with the social consequences and asymmetries of twenty-first century capitalism's global modalities. Drawn from settings across the globe, case studies explore the nuanced formations of class and power within particular migration flows while addressing the complex analytics of a contemporary critical political ecomy of migration. Subjects include global migrants as capitalists, entrepreneurs and cosmopolitans, as well as workers and immigrants who are subject to varying degrees of precariousness under intensified competition for profits within contemporary global ecomies. By re-addressing the question of the relationship between changes in global capitalism and migration, the book aims for a timely intervention into the debates on migration which have come to be one of the most contentious emotionally fraught issues in North America and Europe.
- Author BiographyPauline Gardiner Barber is Professor in the Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology at Dalhousie University. Winnie Lem is Professor of International Development Studies at Trent University.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication29/05/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight362 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byProfessor Pauline Gardiner Barber,Winnie Lem
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.