Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionMigration - both within and between countries - is increasingly one of the world's most important policy issues. The faster the Indian ecomy grows, the larger will be the geographical redistribution of the workforce from localities of low to those of high employment growth. Thus, territorial mobility is fundamental both to realizing the full ecomic potential of India's people and to allowing the population to escape from rural poverty. The book analyses the decisive factors in labour migration. Based upon a thorough and robust examination of migrants to three slum localities of Delhi stretching over four decades, the author examines why people migrate, the circumstances of their decision and their experience at their destination. He investigates the myths of urban policy - that rural development will reduce migration to the cities, that growth poles can be created to divert migrant flows, and that government has the power to influence significantly migration scales and directions while pursuing essentially unpredictable market-driven ecomic growth. Testing the essential theoretical basis for urban policy in India, the book is of interest to academics studying migration of labour and urbanization, and those interested in South Asian Studies.
- Author BiographyHimmat Singh Ratnoo is Lecturer in the Department of Economics at Maharshi Dayanand University, India. His research interests include migration and urbanization.
- Author(s)Himmat Singh Ratnoo
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication07/07/2016
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Contemporary South Asia Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note54 black & white illustrations, 69 black & white tables, 2 black & white halftones, 52 black & white line drawings
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.