All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume presents a number of case studies of military advisors and missions in order to provide clear historical examples of the evolution, functioning and motives of foreign military advising in the modern era. Containing essays by US contributors covering a wide range of countries and spanning nearly 200 years of history, the case studies show the evolution of foreign military advising from ill-organized mercenary units, to professional, government-sponsored teams driven by a desire to cultivate political and ecomic influence, to Cold War tools for pursuing ideological aims, nation building, and modernization, to post-Cold War elements of alliance integration. Finally, the book highlights the increasing present-day role of private corporations, some of which provide complete military forces, thereby bringing the evolution of foreign military advising full circle. This book will be of interest to students of military history, civil-military relations, peacekeeping, security studies and political science in general.
- Author BiographyDonald Stoker is Professor of Strategy and Policy for the US Naval War College's Monterey Program. He is the author of Britain, France, and the Naval Arms Trade in the Baltic, 1919-1939: Grand Strategy and Failure (Frank Cass, 2003).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/07/2007
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleCass Military Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white tables, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight589 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byDonald J. Stoker
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.