All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBefore she became a Buddhist nun in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh, Sister Dang Nghiem was a doctor. Born during the Tet Offensive and part of the amnesty for Amerasian children of the late 1970s, Dang Nghiem arrived in this country virtually penniless and with home. She lived with three foster families, graduated high school with hors, earned two undergraduate degrees, and became a doctor. When the man she thought she d spend her life with suddenly drowned, Sister Dang Nghiem left medicine and joined the monastic community of Thich Nhat Hanh. It is from this vantage point that Dang Nghiem writes about her journey of healing. Devastated by the diagsis and symptoms of Lyme Disease, she realized that she was also reliving many of the unresolved traumas from earlier in her life. She applied both her medical kwledge and her advanced understanding and practice of mindfulness to healing. Through meditation she finally came to understand what it means to master suffering. In Mindfulness as Medicine Sister Dang Nghiem leads readers through her profound journey of healing and shares step-by-step directions for the techniques she used to transform her suffering.
- Author BiographySister Dang Nghiem is the author of the critically acclaimed Healing: A Woman s Journey from Doctor to Nun, a Buddhist nun, a motivational speaker, and an inspiration for anyone who has ever dealt with severe illness or chronic pain. She was a practicing doctor at UCSF Medical Center before she became a Zen Buddhist nun in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh. In 2011 she contracted Neuro-Lyme Disease, which affected both her physical and cognitive functioning. Using mindfulness practices, she has had what doctor s termed a miraculous recovery. She continues to successfully manage her illness and pain with mindfulness practice. Sister Dang Nghiem lives in Magnolia Grove Monastery, outside Batesville, MS.
- Author(s)Sister Dang Nghiem
- PublisherParallax Press
- Date of Publication21/04/2015
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintParallax Press
- Out-of-print date07/12/2016
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.