All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn ermous number of burial objects have been unearthed from ancient tombs in archaeological excavations in China. These mingqi were made in all kinds of materials and in a broad range of forms, techniques and craftsmanship. In this book Quinghua Guo examines a particular type of mingqi -- pottery building. The striking realism of the pottery buildings suggests that they were modelled after actual buildings. They bring to life courtyard houses, mars, towers, granaries and pigsty-privies, as well as cooking ranges and well pavilions. These pottery buildings, previously little kwn, preserve kwledge of antiquity and demonstrate the architectural quality and structural variety of the period. The author identifies the typology of the pottery buildings they signify in terms of ontology and semiology, in order to provide a conceptual map for classification, and identifies building systems reflected by the mingqi to detect architectonic systems of the Han dynasty. Key features of this volume include: Cross-disciplinary research -- architectural study interlocking with archaeological study; architectural study interlocking with graphic study. The Han pottery buildings are important architectural models from the ancient world, and are contrasted with wooden houses of Middle-Kingdom Egypt and brick buildings of the Mir civilisation, Crete, allowing cross-cultural comparisons.
- Author BiographyQinghua Guo, Ph.D., is Associate Professor of Asian Architecture at the University of Melbourne, Australia. She is an international leading authority on Chinese architectural history. Her publications include Chinese Architecture and Planning: Ideals, Methods and Techniques (2005), A Visual Dictionary of Chinese Architecture (2002) and The Structure of Chinese Timber Architecture: Twelfth Century Design Standards and Construction Principles (1999).
- Author(s)Qinghua Guo
- PublisherSussex Academic Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2016
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSussex Academic Press
- Content Note330 b/w & colour photos
- Weight431 g
- Width171 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.