All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionMining played a prominent role in the shaping and settling of the American West in the nineteenth century. Following the discovery of the famous Comstock Lode in Nevada in 1859, mining became increasingly industrialized, changing mining techlogy, society, and culture throughout the world. In the wake of these changes Nevada became an important mining region, with new people and techlogies further altering the ways mining was pursued and miners interacted. Historical archaeology offers a research strategy for understanding mining and miners that integrates three independent sources of information about the past: physical remains, documents, and oral testimony. Mining Archaeology in the American West explores mining culture and practices through the microcosm of Nevada's mining frontier. The history of mining techlogy, the social and cultural history of miners and mining societies, and the landscapes and environments of mining are topics examined in this multifocus research. In this updated and expanded edition of the seminal work on mining in Nevada, Donald Hardesty brings scholarship up to the present with important new research and insights into how people, techlogy, culture, architecture, and landscape changed during this period of mining history.
- Author BiographyDonald L. Hardesty is a professor of anthropology at the University of Nevada, Reno. He is the author of numerous publications, including Assessing Site Significance: A Guide for Archaeologists and Historians (with Barbara J. Little) and The Archaeology of the Donner Party.
- Author(s)Donald L. Hardesty
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2010
- Series TitleHistorical Archaeology of the American West
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note108 illustrations, 19 tables, 10 figures
- Weight499 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.