All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe continent of Africa is rich in minerals needed by Western ecomies, but rather than forming the basis for ecomic growth the mining industry contributes very little to African development Investigating the impact of the 2003 Extractive Industries Review on a number of African countries, the contributors find that a key dimension of the problem lies in the regulatory frameworks imposed on the African countries by the IMF and World Bank. They aim to convince academics, governments and industry that regulation needs to be reformed to create a mining industry favourable to social and ecomic development and environmental protection. The book takes a multidisciplinary approach and provides a historical perspective of each country, making it ideal for students of development studies and development organisations.
- Author BiographyBonnie Campbell is Professor of Political Economy at the department of Political Science at the University of Quebec in Montreal where she heads the Research Chair on Governance and Aid for Development. Her publications include Regulating Mining in Africa: For Whose Benefit?, (Ed.) (2004). She has been a member of the International Study Group of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa on the revision of mining codes in Africa (Addis Abbaba) (2007-2009) and the Advisory Group to the Canadian Government on corporate social responsibility in the extractive sector in developing countries (2007).
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication20/05/2009
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Content Note5 maps
- Weight440 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byBonnie Campbell
- Format DetailsLibrary binding
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.