All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMost discussions of multiculturalism and group rights focus on the relationship between the mirity and the majority. This volume advances our understanding of mirity rights by focusing on conflicts that arise within mirity groups and by examining the different sorts of responses that the liberal state might have to these conflicts. Groups around the world are increasingly successful in maintaining or winning automy. In light of this trend, a crucial question emerges: what happens to individuals within groups who find that their group discriminates against them? This volume brings together distinguished scholars who examine this question by weaving together rmative political theory with case studies drawn from South Africa, the United States, India, Canada, and Britain. Classical liberalism, deliberative democracy, feminism, and associative democracy are among the theoretical frameworks used to offer solutions to the complex set of issues raised by mirities within mirities.
- Author BiographyAvigail Eisenberg is Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of Victoria. She is author of Reconstructing Political Pluralism and co-editor of Painting the Maple: Essays on Race, Gender and the Construction of Canada. Jeff Spinner-Halev is the Schlesinger Professor of Political Science in the Department of Political Science at the University of Nebraska. He is the author of The Boundaries of Citizenship: Race, Ethnicity and Nationality in the Liberal State and Surviving Diversity: Religion and Democratic Citizenship.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication03/01/2005
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byAvigail I. Eisenberg,Jeff Spinner-Halev
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.