All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMirity invisibility has gone unticed in the communication discipline. It denies the existence of racial problems by consciously or unconsciously downplaying, igring, or over-simplifying the issues. This is evidenced from the claims of color-blindness and reverse discrimination, the belief in model mirities, and exaggerated, negative, or purposeful racial displays that permeate American culture. Using in-depth interviews with Asian-American professionals from various metropolitan areas, this study investigates these professionals' perceptions on mirity invisibility and model mirity status. It explores Asian Americans' ethnic consciousness on four levels, discussing how the group perceives their individual invisibility, their group members' invisibility, the invisibility of other American co-cultural groups, and finally their expectations in changing mirity invisibility in the United States. The work considers diverse viewpoints on mirity invisibility, model mirity, satisfaction and dissatisfaction with mainstream American culture, and co-cultural ethnic relations. This study is useful to graduate and undergraduate students and researchers with an interest in race relations, Asian-American studies, co-cultural theory, and intercultural communication studies.
- Author BiographyWei Sun holds a Ph.D. in Communication and Culture from Howard University. She is Assistant Professor in the Department of Communications at Bowie State University, Maryland. Her research interests include intercultural communication, crisis communication, minority invisibility and media studies.
- Author(s)Wei Sun
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication27/09/2007
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight154 g
- Width154 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.