All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis SpringerBrief gives the latest research on the role of miRNAs in breast cancer metastasis. MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are recently described small endogeus ncoding RNAs implicated in the posttranscriptional control of gene expression. These tiny molecules are involved in developmental, physiologic phemen as well as pathologic processes including cancers. In fact, miRNAs have emerged as critical regulators of cancer progression, invasion and metastasis. This is mainly because a single miRNA can affect several downstream genes and signaling pathways with oncogenic or tumor suppressor actions depending on the target genes affected. Due to this multimodal downstream signaling effects, these small endogeus molecules hold great promise in metastasis prevention and treatment. Modulating the activity of miRNAs can provide opportunities for vel cancer interventions. Targeting miRNAs could become a vel progstic and therapeutic strategy to prevent the future development of metastasis. Thus, miRNAs could also serve as a potential targets for anti-metastatic therapy. The book explores how the expression of miRNAs in the primary tumor could be silenced using antagomirs (chemically modified anti-miRNA oligonucleotides), which could prevent the development of metastasis; whereas once metastasis develops then it could be treated with miRNA mimics for inducing its expression for the treatment. Therefore, development of miRNA-based prophylactic therapies could serve as precision and personalized medicine against future development of metastasis of breast and other cancers.
- Author BiographySeema Sethi, MD, is a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology at Wayne State University. Dr Sethi's research interests are in developing non-invasive molecular cytogenetic approaches for early diagnosis, prognosis and therapeutics of cancer, mainly breast, cervix and head and neck cancer. Currently, she is involved in several ongoing projects evaluating the role of biomarkers in the pathogenetic evolution of malignancies. Dr. Sethi has published 5 book chapters and 62 scientific papers and has received over 490 citations. She is the recipient of several poster and research awards.
- Author(s)Seema Sethi
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication14/10/2014
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleSpringerBriefs in Cancer Research
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 2 colour illustrations, 4 black & white tables, biography
- Weight182 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.