Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionMissing the Big Picture is an autobiographical coming of age story about one man's struggle with mental illness and suicidal thoughts, his eventual college graduation, and his career as a comedian. Comedian Luke G. Dovan is the product of a single parent home with a mentally ill grandmother. Bullied and abused by classmates and faced with inappropriate and unprofessional faculty members in high school, he finally has a great first year of college, but continues to hear voices and have suicidal thoughts. But through it all he perseveres to earn his degree, work as a registered nurse, and become an award winning stand-up comedy performer. A story as harrowing as it is hopeful, Dovan delivers it all with a humbling dose of self-confidence and humor that is enthralling and inspirational. For Luke G. Dovan, life in Albany is, as Erma Bombeck famously said, like a bowl of cherries -and he is indeed in the pits. After being a product of an estranged household, and finding his home life stigmatizing in his Catholic military high school, he is the recipient of bullying from classmates and inappropriate and unprofessional faculty members. Ultimately he transfers to a public school, but only continues to have difficulty relating to classmates. A people pleaser by nature, he is consistently taken advantage of, picked on, and unhappy with whom he is and how he looks. From the age of eighteen through his graduation from college, Dovan hears voices in his mind, voices that lead to thoughts of suicide. Through perseverance and courage, however, he is able to emerge from these trying times as a registered nurse. And as he continues to grow as a person, he begins to understand what he calls the big picture: self-confidence, compassion for others, and a positive, realistic attitude. And instead of letting anger at his treatment consume him, he uses it to help heal himself and others with laughter. Shining light on a litany of taboo subjects, Dovan illuminates the profound truth that relationships, friendships, peer pressure, and body image are t gender issues-rather they are human issues. A powerful, inspirational coming of age journey, Missing the Big Picture shatters stereotypes as it teaches tolerance and acceptance.
- Author BiographyI was born in Albany, New York. From the outside, my life seemed normal: I grew up in the suburbs and went to college. On the inside, I was constantly struggling with mental illness, depression, and constantly thinking that I was not good enough and inferior to everybody. I am currently a registered nurse and comedian. I want to share my story so other struggling young people understand they're not alone and that others have similar experiences and feelings.
- Author(s)MR Luke G Donovan
- Date of Publication29/03/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.