All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionIn this masterful study of the critical issues in missional ecclesiology, Joon-Sik Park reflects on two prominent twentieth-century theologians - H. Richard Niebuhr (1894-1962) and John Howard Yoder (1927-1997) - and integrates the insights of their respective traditions. Although ecclesiology was a major concern to both Niebuhr and Yoder, their views on the nature and calling of the church were distinct. Whereas Niebuhr (a theologian in the Evangelical and Reformed tradition) was concerned with defining the church in relation to a universal community, Yoder (standing within the Mennite tradition) was interested in representing the church as an alternative community. Although Niebuhr was reluctant to distinguish the church sharply from the world, Yoder stressed the distinctiveness of the church from the world and considered the Christian faith a decisive difference between believing and unbelieving communities. Seeking to construct an integral missional ecclesiology, Joon-Sik Park carefully engages Niebuhr and Yoder and proposes a critical synthesis of their strengths. He holds in creative tension the contradistinctive ecclesiologies of Niebuhr and Yoder by means of Lesslie Newbigin's logic of election, providing a way to overcome an impasse between the two theologians.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Joon-Sik Park is the E. Stanley Jones Associate Professor of World Evangelism at the Methodist Theological School in Ohio. A native of South Korea, he previously served as pastor of multicultural United Methodist congregations in Ohio and Kentucky. His publications have appeared in International Bulletin of Missionary Research, International Review of Mission, and Missiology.
- Author(s)Joon-Sik Park
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/06/2007
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number252
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight480 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.