Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
About this product
- DescriptionBased on true stories, Missionary Memories recalls the life of a 93 year old father whose son attempts to learn more about his father and, in doing so, hears for the first time, many extraordinary stories of his father's experiences as a part-time medical missionary that took him from his dental practice in western PA to a remote village in western Africa, Latin America, Haiti, Mexico, and Thailand. The book contains many stories of the father's missionary experiences, and details the difficult lives of the people he visited, and the hardships they faced t having medical or dental care. The story also recounts many of the difficulties his son had dealing with his father's declining health, and the complexities of today's health care system eventually ending in hospice care. The son anguishes over many of the decisions he had to make until a friend, who had recently lost her husband, gives him some good advice. The book ends when the son finds a letter the father had written giving him final instructions for his life. The author's second book, Nanna (or How to Eat an Elephant) is a fictional story stronly inspired by his church's missionary activities in rural Appalachia.
- Author BiographyRon Dingee, DMD, MPH was born in Lynn, MA. After graduation from Lynn English High School, he joined the U.S. Air Force where he met his wife, Evelyn. He earned his doctor's degree in dental medicine and a master's degree in public health from the University of Pittsburgh with advanced studies at the University of London, School of Tropical Medicine. He practiced dentistry in Greensburg, PA for almost 25 years during which time he volunteered his skills in Latin America, Mexico, Haiti, Zaire, and Thailand as a medical missionary. In 1991, he and his wife, Evelyn, sold their home and the dental practice to go to Bangkok, Thailand to co-manage the Bangkok Christian Guest House for four years. After Bangkok, they managed the Redwood Glen Baptist Camp and Conference Center in CA for three years then moved to Nevada to work with the Shoshone-Paiute Indians before retiring. Ron and Evelyn have three children and six grand children and now divide their time between southern CA and western PA. He has authored three books: Missionary Memories, based upon his own missionary activities, Nanna (or How to Eat an Elephant which is inspired by his church's missionary activities in rural areas of Appalachia, and Things They Don't Teach You in School for 17 to 25 year olds to help them to be better prepared when they enter the real world. Covers banking services, insurance (life, auto, health), investing, retirement planning, renting an apartment, buying an auto and home, plus a few words of wisdom.
- Author(s)Ron Dingee
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication06/04/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight245 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.