All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThe word Mississauga is the name British Canadian settlers used for the Ojibwe on the rth of Lake Ontario - w the most urbanized region in what is w Canada. The Ojibwe of this area in the early and mid-nineteenth century lived through a time of considerable threat to the survival of the First Nations, as they lost much of their automy, and almost all of their traditional territory. Donald B. Smith's Mississauga Portraits recreates the lives of eight Ojibwe who lived during this period - all of whom are historically important and interesting figures, and seven of whom have never before received full biographical treatment. Each portrait is based on research drawn from an extensive collection of writings and recorded speeches by southern Ontario Ojibwe themselves, along with secondary sources. These documents - uncovered over the 40 years that Smith has spent researching and writing about the Ojibwe - represent the richest source of personal First Nations writing in Canada from the mid-nineteenth century. Mississauga Portraits is a sequel to Smith's immensely popular Sacred Feathers, which provided a detailed biography of Mississauga chief and Methodist minister Peter Jones (1802-1856). The first chapter in Mississauga Portraits on Jones tightly links the two books, which together give readers a vivid composite picture of life in mid-nineteenth-century Aboriginal Canada.
- Author BiographyDonald B. Smith is a professor emeritus of history at the University of Calgary.
- Author(s)Donald B. Smith
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note53
- Weight680 g
- Width148 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.