Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionAther extraordinary true Australian tale discovered by the bestselling author of Crack Hardy, Stephen Dando-Collins. Mistaken identity haunted Joseph Windred. It saw him wrongly convicted on two continents and almost cost him his life. But every time fate kcked him down, Joe got up, and came back stronger. His fighting spirit would make him a hero, and see him strike it rich. Little did the people of Orange NSW kw when they twice elected Joseph Windred their mayor that this upstanding Windsor-born businessman, colonial hero and founder of their local jockey club had, in chains, helped build the San Quentin Penitentiary in San Francisco during the California gold rush, only to make a thrilling escape back to Australia. And that, technically, Joe was still a fugitive from American justice. There was a lot about Joe people didn't kw. In an amazing life, Joe also overcame physical disability to become a champion boxer, chased down a bushranger on his racehorse, saved the lives of children on a runaway dray, almost drowned trying to save a woman in a flooded creek, and struck gold near Bathurst. Joe Windred's courage in the face of repeated, extraordinary and life-changing adversity marks him as one of the most inspiring figures in the history of ordinary Australians.
- Author BiographyStephen Dando-Collins is the author of the acclaimed CAPTAIN BLIGH'S OTHER MUTINY and a successful series of popular histories about the legions of ancient Rome published in the US, UK, and Australia: CAESAR'S LEGION, NERO'S KILLING MACHINE , CLEOPATRA'S KIDNAPPERS, MARK ANTONY'S HEROES. His historical novel THE INQUEST, was published in the US, Canada, Spain and Italy. PASTEUR'S GAMBIT was shortlisted for the science prize in the Victorian Premier's Literary Awards and won the Queensland Premier's Science Award.
- Author(s)Stephen Dando-Collins
- PublisherRandom House Australia
- Date of Publication01/08/2012
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNorth Sydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2012
- ImprintVintage (Australia)
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight393 g
- Width156 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.