Mister B: Living with a 98 Year Old Rocket Scientist by A L Byk (Paperback / softback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.76+ AU $7.50 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $33.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen a faithful legal secretary loses her own house, she makes a new home with a reliable old space engineer. If you like No Highway in the Sky, Tuesdays with Morrie or Forrest Gump, you will love Mister B! For curiosity seekers of aerospace history, materials strength, and structural science, how did it all start? Mister B's aerospace memoir captures it from the viewpoint of a self-made man challenged in his later years to love others and to inquire of religion. Mister B charms the bejeebers out of the cold war and the Greatest Generation. Born in 1916, the Rhode Island son of Polish immigrants, Mr. B offers both instructional and comedic solutions to life's little perplexities. Surviving the death of his wife, the ol' man decides to teach his younger caretaker a thing or two: specifically that, his newest design is to live forever. With a shot of respect, Mister B's bygone family ideals confront the independence of a younger generation as he reveals a lifetime of secrets. Joseph Byk begins his early schooling in rope-tied-baggy-pants-poverty. He is every teachers' dreaded student. By the end of his senior year at Woonsocket High, however, the joke's on him! He regrets his missing geometry lessons. Why? Because suddenly, he aspires to design vehicles that defy gravity. The humorous, aerospace memoir, Mister B is also available in a 352 page paperback and offers 50 historic photographs, or in a gift book edition, hard cover. Joseph Byk must beg a high school counselor to find him a college to help make up the deficiencies in his missing coursework. Thus, Auburn Technical and Alabama State University gain the hardest working student they ever had. Graduating in 1938, with a Ph.D. in aerospace engineering, Mister B eventually helps design the space shuttle Gemini, the Viking first moon landing gear and the beginnings of Google Earth. At age 97, where our story begins, we see that being politically correct is t Mister B. What Aesop and his fables are to children, Mister B is to adults. It isn't rocket science. Invite this 2016 Pinnacle Achievement Award Memoir into your world. Mr. B's wit does t disappoint. Positioning. Mister B offers us a timely subject matter for adult children taking care of parents and grandparents. A list of book club questions can be found at http: //www.CaptureMeBooks.com. Humorists and comedians on aging family members and science can find samples and excerpts there as well. Comparisons: Tuesdays with Morrie, [Doubleday, print $10.00, ISBN:76790592X] 1997, pocketbook size in Print Forrest Gump, [Perch Creek Realty and Investment Corps., Vintage Books, print $10.50, ISBN: 0385231342] 1986, In Print Categories: Autobiography/memoir Humor Aerospace WWII and Cold War. LCSH: Aging parents-Family Relationships/ Engineers-Family relationships. Older men-Family relationships. Inter-generational relations. LCC HQ1063.6 .B95 2016 (print) LCC HQ1063.6 (ebook) DDC 306.8740846-dc23 BISAC HUM011000 HUMOR / Topic / Marriage & Family. Readers of Mister B also enjoyed Grumpy Old Men, and read: Kristin Hannah's The Nightengale, Thomas J. Stanley's The Millionaire Next Door, Marja Mills' The Mockingbird Next Door, Karen Kingsbury's Halfway To Forever, Haven Kimme's A Girl Named Zippy, Madeline L'Engle's Certain Women, Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree. The humor is similar to Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence.
- Author BiographyAward-winning author, A. LYNN BYK, launched a prolific writer's group in the 80s from her home, which prompted the development of several writers becoming authors and eventually organizing a Golden Colorado Christian writers conference. Although her prose has been published by a variety of magazines, the memoir, Mister B, is her first book for mass trade. Always a catalyst in the creative community, she organized a musicians' network and published a music 'zine called The Front Window. She has traveled extensively, and after earning her B.A. in Contemporary Christian Composition, she managed a Berean Bookstore. In 2013, Lynn Byk, an author who had earned her Bachelor of Arts in Contemporary Composition, and old Mister B are thrown into an unlikely companionship. After a brush with the law, foreclosure and near bankruptcy, the author moves into her father-in-law's home. There, the 98-year-old retired aerospace engineer, Mister B, speaks to her from the legacy of his own Polish past and his scientific experience as he must now lean on her for help. A. LYNN BYK writes with the interview style she specialized in as a music zine journalist, added now the wit of city voices conflicted by two generations forced into a daily embrace. She honors the Rhode Island rocket scientist's rise from poverty, and in doing so informs younger generations of a choice of lifestyle, and Mister B's reasons for living. Lynn Byk continues to live in the Colorado Rockies with her husband, her dog, and her father-in-law. Follow Lynn Byk on Pinterest, Twitter: Lynn Byk Author or join her Lynn Byk community on Facebook. Mister B is the self-made man he aimed to become, having pulled himself up from the rope-tied, baggy-pants poverty of Polish immigrants in Rhode Island to become a designer on the engineering team of the space shuttle Gemini, a stress engineer for battleships, for man-rated space capsules, and for the likes of Google Earth. The ol' man reveals how his hard-won Ph.D., in 1938, from the University of Alabama, became his springboard out of poverty. Mister B's voice carries readers through a very funny juxtaposition of energies training the companions to heel at life's new gait. https: //www.facebook.com/LynnBykAuthor #https: //www.facebook.com/LynnBykHistoricalMemoirAuthor/?fref=ts Twitter: @Lynn_Byk_Author
- Author(s)A L Byk
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication05/12/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight562 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.