All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSHORTLISTED FOR THE WILLIAM HILL SPORTS BOOK OF THE YEAR PRIZE. From its late-Victorian flowering in the mill towns of the rthwest of England, football spread around the world with great speed. It was helped on its way by a series of missionaries who showed the rest of the planet the simple joys of the game. Even w, in many countries, the colloquial word for a football manager is t 'coach' or 'boss' but 'mister', as that is how the early teachers were kwn, because they had come from the home of the sport to help it develop in new territories. In Rory Smith's stunning new book Mister, he looks at the stories of these pioneers of the game, men who left this country to take football across the globe. Sometimes, they had been spurned in their own land, as coaching was often frowned upon in England in those days, whe players were starved of the ball during the week to make them hungry for it on matchday. So it was that the inspirations behind the 'Mighty Magyars' of the 1950s, the Dutch of the 1970s or top clubs such as Barcelona came from these shores. England, without realising it, fired the very revolution that would remove its crown, changing football's history, thanks to a handful of men who sowed the seeds of the inversion of football's natural order. This is the story of the men who taught the world to play and shaped its destiny. This is the story of the Misters.
- Author BiographyRory Smith joined The Times as one of its leading football writers in 2012, having previously written for the Daily Telegraph, and he now writes for the New York Times. He worked with Rafa Benitez on Champions League Dreams, but this is his first book under his own name.
- Author(s)Rory Smith
- PublisherSimon & Schuster Ltd
- Date of Publication07/04/2016
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSimon & Schuster Ltd
- Content Note8pp photographs
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.