All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPower and grace define Misty Copeland an influential ballet dancer who has broken through difficult barriers to become the first female African-American to be promoted to principal dancer at the American Ballet Theatre. Misty has proven adversity can be conquered by reaching higher and working harder to define what is humanly possible, regardless of the path one chooses to follow their dreams. In Misty s own words, Finding your power doesn t have to be scary. Instead, it makes you feel in control, strong, and proud. Through the stunning black-and-white photography of Richard Corman and Misty s own words, her inspiring message of hope, strength, and focus speaks to young girls and women. In the introduction, Cindy Bradley, Misty s ballet teacher who discovered and encouraged Misty to develop her talent and follow her heart, gives context to the obstacles and challenges that helped Misty find her power and achieve success. Misty Copeland is the embodiment of the American dream. Bill Whitaker, 60 MINUTES
- Author BiographyRichard Corman has been capturing poignant moments of human triumph for over three decades. While his work varies widely in style and subject matter, it s always intensely focused on the human spirit. ROLLING STONE refers to his photographs as iconic. Documentarian Ken Burns says Corman s versatile body of work is an artistic vision dedicated to the highest aspirations of human endeavor . . . the photographs record in big moments and small, among the famous and ordinary, the gifted and challenged, larger truths relevant to all of us. As a portrait photographer, Corman has worked with a thrilling breadth of subjects from Nobel Peace Prize recipients Nelson Mandela and Elie Wiesel to esteemed actors such as Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep and Daniel Craig. He s also worked with elite athletes who inspire greatness, like Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan, as well as with writers and artists who have left an indelible mark including Kurt Vonnegut, Basquiat, and Naguchi. Ms. Bradley began her studies at the school of the Atlanta Ballet Company. Later she studied with New York City Ballet s School of American Ballet. She joined the Virginia Ballet Company, under the direction of Oleg Tupine; the Louisville Ballet Company, under the direction of Richard Munro; the San Diego Ballet Company, under the direction of Keith Martin; and the North San Diego County Ballet, under the direction of Victor Moreno. As well as choreographing many original works, she has staged The Nutcracker, Coppelia, and Swan Lake. Ms. Bradley cofounded Jetsetter Productions in 2005 and created Shag With a Twist with world-renowned artist Josh Agle aka Shag. The dance musical premiered at the Los Angeles Theatre Center and won an Ovation award for best costume design, was nominated for eight Lester Horton Awards, and had an extended run in Las Vegas in 2007.
- PublisherMichael Friedman Publishing Group Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication31/07/2015
- Place of PublicationNY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMichael Friedman Publishing Group Inc.,U.S.
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight166 g
- Width191 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Photographer(s)Richard Corman
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.