All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe growth of the internet has been spectacular. There are w more than 3 billion internet users across the globe, some 40 per cent of the world's population. The internet's meteoric rise is a phemen of ermous significance for the ecomic, political and social life of contemporary societies. However, much popular and academic writing about the internet continues to take a celebratory view, assuming that the internet's potential will be realised in essentially positive and transformative ways. This was especially true in the euphoric moment of the mid-1990s, when many commentators wrote about the internet with awe and wonderment. While this moment may be over, its underlying techcentrism - the belief that techlogy determines outcomes - lingers on and, with it, a failure to understand the internet in its social, ecomic and political contexts. Misunderstanding the Internet is a short introduction, encompassing the history, sociology, politics and ecomics of the internet and its impact on society. This expanded and updated second edition is a polemical, sociologically and historically informed guide to the key claims that have been made about the online world. It aims to challenge both popular myths and existing academic orthodoxies that surround the internet.
- Author BiographyJames Curran, Natalie Fenton and Des Freedman teach in the Department of Media and Communications at Goldsmiths, University of London, UK.
- Author(s)Des Freedman,James Curran,Natalie Fenton
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication23/02/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCommunication and Society
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.