All listings for this product
Best Selling in Fiction Books
- AU $15.57New
- AU $8.05Used
- AU $65.33New
- AU $52.51Used
- AU $16.57New
- AU $18.33New
- AU $27.95New
- AU $6.80New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $12.39
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $15.95
- AU $55.66Trending at AU $57.80
- AU $33.92Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $20.63Trending at AU $22.26
- AU $18.40Trending at AU $28.49
About this product
- DescriptionAesthete, sensualist, bookworm, politician of Machiavellian cunning: Francois Mitterrand was a man of exceptional gifts and exceptional flaws who, during his fourteen years as President, strove to drag his tradition-bound and change-averse country into the modern world. As a statesman and as a human being, he was the incarnation of the mercurial, contrarian France which Britain and America find so perennially frustrating. He embodied the ambiguities and the contradictions of a nation whose modern identity is founded on a stubborn refusal to fit into the Anglo-American scheme of things. Yet he changed France more profoundly than any of his recent predecessors, arguably including even his great rival, Charles de Gaulle. During the war he was both the leader of a resistance movement and decorated for services to the collaborationist regime in Vichy. After flirting with the far Right, he entered parliament with the backing of conservatives and the Catholic Church before becoming the undisputed leader of the Left. As President he brought the French Communists into the government the better to destroy them. And all the while he managed to find time for an extraordinarily complicated private life. This is a human as much as a political biography, and a captivating portrait of a life that mirrored Mitterrand's times.
- Author BiographyPhilip Short is the author of acclaimed biographies of Pol Pot and Mao Zedong. He worked for ten years as the BBC's Paris correspondent and lives in France.
- PrizesShortlisted for Spear's Book Awards: Biography of the Year 2014.
- Author(s)Philip Short
- Date of Publication14/11/2013
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Bodley Head Ltd
- Out-of-print date23/01/2016
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white)
- Weight1065 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine44 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.