All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMixed Harvest explores rural responses to the transformation of the rthern United States from an agricultural society into an urban and industrial one. According to Hal S. Barron, country people from New England to North Dakota negotiated the rise of large-scale organizational society and consumer culture in ways marked by both resistance and accommodation, change and continuity. Between 1870 and 1930, communities in the rural North faced a number of challenges. Reformers and professionals sought to centralize authority and diminish local control over such important aspects of rural society as schools and roads; large-scale business corporations wielded increasing market power, to the detriment of independent family farmers; and an encroaching urban-based consumer culture threatened rural beliefs in the primacy of their local communities and the superiority of country life. But, Barron argues, by reconfiguring traditional rural values of localism, independence, republicanism, and agrarian fundamentalism, country people successfully created a distinct rural subculture. Consequently, agrarian society continued to provide a counterpoint to the dominant trends in American society well into the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyHal S. Barron, author of Those Who Stayed Behind: Rural Society in Nineteenth-Century New England, is professor of history at Harvey Mudd College and a member of the history faculty at the Claremont Graduate School in California.
- Author(s)Hal S. Barron
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication31/10/1998
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleStudies in Rural Culture
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note26 illustrations, 2 maps, notes, bibliography, index
- Weight535 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.