All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA good understanding of the different theoretical models is essential when working in the field of mental health. Not only does it help with understanding experiences of mental health difficulties and to find meaning, but it also provides a framework for expanding our kwledge of the field. As part of the Foundations of Mental Health Practice series, this book provides a critical overview of the theoretical perspectives relevant to mental health practice. At the core of this book is the idea that single theory is comprehensive on its own and each theory has its limitations. Divided in to two parts, Part I explores traditional models of mental health and covers the key areas: bio-medical perspectives, psychological perspectives and social perspectives, whilst Part II looks at contemporary ideas that challenge and push these traditional views. The contributions, strengths and limitations of each model are explored and, as a result, the book encourages a more holistic, open approach to understanding and responding to mental health issues. Together, these different approaches offer students and practitioners a powerful set of perspectives from which to approach their study and careers. Each model is covered in a clear and structured way with supporting exercises and case studies. It is an essential text for anyone studying or practising in the field of mental health, including social workers, nurses and psychologists.
- Author BiographyGavin Davidson is Senior Lecturer in Social Work at Queen's University Belfast, UK. Jim Campbell is Professor of Social Work at University College Dublin, Ireland. Ciaran Shannon is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Assistant Course Director of the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology at Queen's University Belfast, UK. Ciaran Mulholland is Senior Lecturer at Queen's University Belfast, UK and a Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry.
- Author(s)Ciaran Mulholland,Gavin Davidson
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication18/12/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleFoundations of Mental Health Practice
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note7 figures, 4 black & white tables
- Weight246 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine1 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.