All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionModern British and Irish Criticism and Theory offers the student and general reader a comprehensive, critically informed overview of the development of literary and cultural studies from the nineteenth century to the present day. Beginning with Coleridge and Arld, examining the contribution of cultural commentators and velists, and considering the institutionalisation of literary criticism in the universities of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, the book addresses in detailed, accessible and rigorous essays the rise and significance of literary and cultural studies. Nearly thirty essays contribute to an understanding of the practice of literary studies presenting the reader with a perceptive series of critical interventions which, themselves, engage in the very locations from which criticism and theory have emerged. A further reading list accompanies each chapter. Key Features * Breadth of coverage from Coleridge through Virginia Woolf to Raymond Williams and Terry Eagleton; and from the 'Cambridge School' to Post-structuralism and Postcolonial theory. * Focus on the history of modern criticism. * Accessibly written. * Theoretical debates are set in full historical, cultural and philosophical contexts.
- Author BiographyJulian Wolfreys is Professor of Modern Literature and Culture, with the Department of English and Drama, at Loughborough University. He has published extensively on nineteenth- and twentieth-century British literature, and theoretical approaches to literature. His most recent books are Thomas Hardy and Literature, in Theory. He is currently working on The Derrida Wordbook (EUP) and a study of the relation between philosophy and poetry in the nineteenth century.
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication21/04/2006
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight424 g
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byJulian Wolfreys
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.