All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionModern Fashion Traditions questions the dynamics of fashion systems and spaces of consumption outside the West. Too often, these fashion systems are studied as a mere and recent result of globalization and Western fashion influences, but this book draws on a wide range of n-Western case studies and analyses their similarities and differences as legitimate fashion systems, contesting Eurocentric tions of tradition and modernity, continuity versus change, and 'the West versus the Rest'. Preconceptions about n-Western fashion are challenged through diverse case studies from international scholars, including street-style identity in Bhutan, the influence of Ottoman cultural heritage on contemporary Turkish fashion design, and an investigation into the origins of the word 'fashion' in Chinese. Negotiating tradition, foreign influences and the contemporary global dominance of Western fashion cities, Modern Fashion Traditions will give readers a clearer understanding of n-Western fashion identities in the present. Accessibly written, this ground-breaking text makes an essential contribution to the study of n-Western fashion and will be an important resource for students of fashion history and theory, anthropology, and cultural studies.
- Author BiographyM. Angela Jansen is an independent fashion anthropologist based in Brussels, Belgium. Her publications include Moroccan Fashion: Design, Tradition and Modernity (Bloomsbury, 2014). Jennifer Craik is professor and head of the Fashion Discipline at Queensland University of Technology, Australia. Her publications include Uniforms Exposed: From Conformity to Transgression (Berg, 2005) and Fashion: The Key Concepts (Berg, 2009).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication28/07/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleDress and Fashion Research
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Note23 bw illus
- Weight546 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byJennifer Craik,M. Angela Jansen
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.