All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionModern in Context is an investigation of the work of Suman Sorg, FAIA and how principals of contextual modernism are integrated into a variety of projects she has designed. Suman Sorg found the design inspiration for a landscape architect's weekend retreat in the utilitarian wood and metal structures associated with the local fishing, oyster and crabbing industries of its Chesapeake Bay area setting. The design takes advantage of the expansive views and its informal, relaxed environment allows the owner to experiment with the landscape. The materials used for the main house and the guesthouse with connecting courtyard--concrete block, marine plywood, sheetmetal--are rugged and inexpensive. A 140-foot-long concrete garden wall meanders through the site in a series of asymmetrical planes and steps, organizing the building elements. Low horizontal elements--raised planked decks, and inserted landscaping-- float the residence over the surrounding natural meadow.
- Author BiographySuman Sorg established her practice in 1986 and it has since become one of the largest female-owned architecture firms in the United States. As Chief Designer, Suman inspires her project teams with a strong commitment to thoughtful modern architecture that explores spatial, material, and visual experience. After careful examination of the unique characteristics of each place (site, climate, culture, community) and the programmatic requirements, Sorg Architects creates modern designs that are sculptural, and often monumental, yet geared toward the human scale. A long-standing interest in historic preservation complements Suman's modernist leanings; by combining contemporary techniques and design strategies with the innovative handling of both traditional architectural language and indigenous building materials, Sorg Architects creates architecture that relates to its extended context in a meaningful way. Suman Sorg's work has been recognized with numerous awards including 23 from the National American Institute of Architects (AIA) and the Washington, DC and Potomac Valley Chapters. Suman has lectured extensively for the AIA, the National Building Museum, the Urban Land Institute, the State Department and the National Trust for Historic Preservation and is frequently called upon to serve on design juries. An avid painter, Suman's large-scale works further explore relationships between form and color. Suman Sorg is a Fellow of the American Institute of Architect and sits on the board of the Washington, DC Building Industry Association. She is a Peer Reviewer for the General Services Administration (GSA) Design Excellence Program, serves on the board of directors for the Beverly Willis Architecture Foundation, and is a member of the Urban Land Institute, the Washington Building Congress, Women in Washington, and the Lambda Alpha International Honor Society. Suman began her studies at the School of Planning and Architecture in New Delhi, India and completed her Bachelor of Architecture at Howard University in Washington DC (1970). She went on to study Design and Historic Preservation at Cornell University, in Ithaca, New York.
- Author(s)Suman Sorg
- PublisherOro Editions
- Date of Publication02/12/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOro Editions
- Weight163 g
- Width216 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.