All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBored women populate many of the most celebrated works of British modernist literature. Whether in popular offerings such as Robert Hitchens's The Garden of Allah, the esteemed middlebrow vels of May Sinclair or H. G. Wells, or w-canized works such as Virginia Woolf's The Voyage Out, women's boredom frequently serves as narrative impetus, antagonist and climax. In this book, Allison Pease explains how the changing meaning of boredom reshapes our understanding of modernist narrative techniques, feminism's struggle to define women as individuals and male modernists' preoccupation with female sexuality. To this end, Pease characterizes boredom as an important category of critique against the constraints of women's lives, arguing that such critique surfaces in modernist fiction in an undeniably gendered way. Engaging with a wide variety of well- and lesser-kwn modernist writers, Pease's study will appeal especially to researchers and graduates in modernist studies and British literature.
- Author BiographyAllison Pease is Associate Professor of English at John Jay College, CUNY, where she also serves as Chair of the English department. She is author of Modernism, Mass Culture, and the Aesthetics of Obscenity (2000) and has published widely in journals such as Modernism/Modernity, Criticism, The Journal of Gender Studies and Nineteenth-Century Literature. She received her MA and PhD in English Literature from New York University.
- Author(s)Alison Pease
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication27/08/2012
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.