All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis invative collection investigates the ways in which television programs around the world have highlighted modernization and encouraged nation-building. It is an attempt to catalogue and better understand the contours of this phemen, which took place as television developed and expanded in different parts of the world between the 1950s and the 1990s. From popular science and adult education shows to news magazines and television plays, few themes so thoroughly penetrated the small screen for so many years as modernization, with television producers and state authorities using television programs to bolster modernization efforts. Contributors analyze the hallmarks of these media efforts: nation-building, consumerism and consumer culture, the education and integration of citizens, and the glorification of the nation's techlogical achievements.
- Author BiographyStewart Anderson is Assistant Professor at Brigham Young University. He has research interests in German history and collective memory. His recent publications include articles for the Journal of European Television History and Culture and Memory Studies, as well as a chapter on German television, ethics, and the evolution of Holocaust memory. Melissa Chakars is Assistant Professor of Russian and Soviet history at Saint Joseph's University. Her publications include The Socialist Way of Life in Siberia: The Buryat Transformation and several articles on empire, identity, and gender in the Soviet Union with a focus on Siberia.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/11/2014
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Advances in Internationalizing Media Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byMelissa Chakars,Stewart Anderson
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.