All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExplore this magnificent desert national parkland and celebrate the 20th anniversary of Mojave National Preserve with this new edition of this comprehensive guide. Great auto tours and suggested hikes help you explore vast sand dunes, volcanic peaks, historical attractions and old Route 66. Experience the wonders of Hole-in-the-Wall, the Mojave River, Kelso Dunes and Mitchell Caverns. Tour the world's largest Joshua tree forest. Follow paths of history to Fort Piute, Kelso Depot, Nipton, Goffs and Zzyzx. Hike the enchanted canyons and intriguing summits of a dozen mountain ranges. Get your kicks on old Route 66. Updated and revised in close cooperation with the National Park Service, this book, the only comprehensive guide to Mojave National Preserve offers a great introduction to this wondrous desert land and plenty of suggestions for follow-up visits. * Engaging auto tours, great hikes, clear maps and directions * Get to kw the land-its plants, wildlife, mountains and valleys * Visit mining towns, cinder cones and a visitor center/train depot * Discover the best hiking trails, picnic sites, campsites, and lodging Mojave National Preserve: A Visitor's Guide is a key resource to begin your exploration and to plan each follow-up visit, tes park superintendent Dennis Schramm in his introduction to the new edition of the book. Authors Cheri Rae and John McKinney kw the Preserve and all of its wonders, and their guidebook will help you discover them for yourself.
- Author BiographyJohn McKinney is the author of 30 books about hiking, parklands and nature and loves to share the natural treasures of his native state of California. HIKE Southern California, A Day Hiker's Guide, HIKE Griffith Park & the Hollywood Hills, and HIKE Santa Barbara are among his Southern California guides. John's other guides include HIKE San Francisco, HIKE Point Reyes and HIKE Yosemite For 18 years, McKinney, a.k.a. The Trailmaster, wrote a weekly hiking column for the Los Angeles Times and now writes articles and commentaries about nature and outdoor recreation for both print and online publications. A passionate advocate for the environment and our need to reconnect to nature, McKinney also shares his expertise on radio, TV, in the blogosphere and at www.TheTrailmaster.com. Along with co-author Cheri Rae, John McKinney has long been a staunch advocate for desert protection. Beginning in the 1980s, he worked with conservation groups to produce maps and other publications that highlighted the environmental threats facing the eastern Mojave, as well as the opportunities to preseve these scenic gems in parklands and wilderness areas. Cheri Rae and John McKinney worked to establish Mojave National Preserve and place it under National Park Service stewardship. In recognition of John McKinney's writings about the desert, the Sierra Club presented him its Media Conservation Award. John is also the author of A Walk Along Land's End: Dispatches from the Edge of California on a 1,600-mile hike from Mexico to Oregon; plus many more books about hiking, nature, and outdoors recreation for both adults and children.
- Author(s)Cheri Rae,John McKinney,Rac
- PublisherOlympus Press, the Trailmaster Inc
- Date of Publication05/02/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectWhere to Stay / Where to Eat & Drink
- Series TitleTravel and Local Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOlympus Press, the Trailmaster Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width142 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $53.94Trending at AU $56.45
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $29.89Trending at AU $32.53
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $29.75
- AU $14.61Trending at AU $21.56
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $19.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.