About this product
- DescriptionIt is almost twenty years since the first DNA tumor virus meeting was held at Cold Spring Harbor. At this meeting studies on three tumor viruses were discussed: the papovaviruses, the adeviruses and the herpesviruses. The present series Developments in Molecular Virology chose to reverse this sequence by first publishing books on the herpesviruses, followed by adeviruses, and only w the papo- vaviruses. All the DNA tumor viruses gained their original reputation by serving as model systems in animal cells for studying gene expression and gene regulation, but SV40 and polyoma have been the jewel in the crown in these studies, as A phage was for the study of prokaryotes. SV40 was the first DNA tumor virus to be completely sequenced that enabled the definition of the cis controlling elements in DNA replication and transcription. I am continuously fascinated by the organization of the SV40 and polyoma gemes. Although they contain about 5000 bp that encode for only 6 to 7 proteins, the mechanisms which regulated their gene expression are varied and include almost any other type of gene regulation found today to regulate eukaryotic genes. Just to mention two: (i) the early promoter is a classical promoter that contains the TAT A, CAAT and enhancer elements, while the late promoter is devoid of these elements, and (ii) the mRNA can be structurally and functionally mocistronic or dicistronic. This hints at the versatility in the control of gene expression at the transcriptional and translational levels.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication18/09/2011
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleDevelopments in Molecular Virology
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight480 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byYosef Aloni
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1988
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $18.62New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
- AU $24.96New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $32.17New
- AU $20.04New
- AU $20.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $22.75
- AU $31.07Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $41.88Trending at AU $42.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.