All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe past decade has witnessed a revolution in the attempts of scientists to under- stand the molecular basis of dementia. Although dementia, as defined by global cogni- tive decline involving gradual loss of memory, reasoning, judgment, and orientation, presents most commonly in the form of Alzheimer's disease (AD), an assortment of other less common disorders, such as prion and Pick's disease, can also lead to symp- toms that are similar to those observed in patients with AD. The primary goal of Molecular Mechanisms of Dementia is to address the various mechanisms and multi- faceted approaches currently being employed to more clearly delineate the etiological and pathogenic events responsible for the onset of dementia. Perhaps the greatest boon to obtaining a clearer understanding of the causes of AD has come from genetic and molecular biological studies carried out over the past decade. At the genetic level, it has become increasingly clear that AD is a heteroge- neous disorder that can be broadly classified into two categories. Late onset (>60 yr) cases, which account for the vast majority of AD, genetically involve susceptibility genes representing risk factors for the disease (e. g. , inheritance of the 84 allele of the Apolipoprotein E gene). In many cases, the susceptibility gene can act as a modifier that modulates the pathogenic cascade occurring subsequent to a separate etiological event initiating or causing the disorder.
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication21/03/2013
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleContemporary Neuroscience
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Note33 black & white illustrations, 2 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight625 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byRudolph Tanzi,W. Wasco
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1997
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.