All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn its heyday, the Monte Carlo Rally was the only rally that made the daily papers. Hundreds of entrants, in cars of all shapes and sizes, battled through mid-winter sw, fog, ice and darkness from far-flung starting points towards the magical principality of Monaco. Mishaps, breakdowns and smashes abounded, and competitors had tales to tell of cars teetering on the edge of precipices or rammed into swbanks, frantically improvised repairs, close encounters and feats of crazy bravado. The first rally was run in 1911, with just 20 starters. In 1930 there were 100, in 1949 205, and in the peak year, 1953, there were less than 404.In this book, every Monte Carlo Rally held between 1911 and 1980 is covered individually, with results listings and route maps. As the years unfold we see the successes of Hotchkiss in the late 1940s, Sunbeam-Talbot in the early 1950s, Mini-Cooper in the 1960s, Porsche 911 in the late '60s, and the dominance of Alpine Renault and Lancia Stratos in the 1970s.It provides essential information on: regulations, routes, competitors, tests, classes of entries, and various Concours.
- Author BiographyGraham Robson possesses a worldwide reputation as a motoring historian, and has been close to the sport of rallying for many years, as a competitor, team manager, organizer, reporter, commentator and observer; in more than forty years he has never lost touch with the sport. Not only has Graham competed in many British and European events, he's also reported on marathons in South America, and acted as a traveling controller in the legendary London-Mexico World Cup Rally. As a recognized authority on many aspects of classic cars and motoring of that period, he is the most prolific of all authors, with more than 130 published books to his credit. Over the years Graham has owned, driven, described and competed in many of the cars featured in the Rally Giants Series, and his insight to their merits is unmatched. Graham Robson lives and works in England.
- Author(s)Graham Robson
- PublisherHerridge & Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication29/11/2007
- SubjectMotor Sports & Cycling
- Place of PublicationBeaworthy
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHerridge & Sons Ltd
- Content Note300 b+w photographs
- Weight1170 g
- Width210 mm
- Height270 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $33.67Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.