All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCelebrated during his lifetime, Monteverdi disappeared from the repertory for centuries until interest in him gradually revived over the last hundred years. Denis Arld's contribution to this revival was considerable. Here he pays tribute to Monteverdi's genius and such enduring achievements as the Vespers, other choral compositions, the operas, and the sacred and secular songs. In relating Monteverdi to the musical activity of his time, and in examining his years at the Court of Mantua and in Venice, Denis Arld reveals a fascinating musician whose works epitomize in many varied ways the musical and cultural issues of his age. The text and appendices of this edition were revised by Tim Carter, who added a new chapter taking account of recent scholarship.
- Author BiographyDenis Arnold died in 1986.
- Author(s)Denis Arnold
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2000
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Series TitleMaster Musicians Series
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note8 pp black and white halftones, 47 music examples
- Weight253 g
- Width132 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Revised byTim Carter
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.