All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLittle kwn today, Jean Baffier (1851-1920) was never far from the headlines during his own lifetime. Born into a poor peasant family, he became a self-taught sculptor whose work ranged from decorative objects to portrayals of peasant life and public monuments. But Baffier would probably t have received wide public attention is he had t also become a folklorist, a promoter of regional culture, and a militant nationalist with beliefs so violent that he attempted a political assassination. This volume explores the full gamut of Baffier's activities and shows that he was pursuing a vast scheme of national purification and rebirth. Neil McWilliam's discussion of the historical issues surrounding Baffier seeks to provide a perspective on the culture wars and political struggles of a turbulent period in French history.
- Author BiographyNeil McWilliam is a Professor of the History of Art at the University of Warwick. His previous books are Bibliography of Salon Criticism in Paris from the July Monarchy to the Second Republic, 1831 1850 (1991) and Dreams of Happiness: Social Art and the French Left, 1830 1850 (1993).
- Author(s)Neil McWilliam
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2000
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationUniversity Park
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Note97 b&w illustrations
- Weight1451 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $69.17
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $80.10
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $94.39
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $21.21Trending at AU $22.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.