All listings for this product
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $75.00Trending at AU $84.72
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $26.62
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.00Trending at AU $22.01
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $21.84
- AU $20.72Trending at AU $27.57
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $30.01
About this product
- DescriptionHistoric grounds, mountain terrain, beachside and waterfalls surround Washington DC. Because of the stunning scenery around the city, hiking in Washington DC is more than a trek around town. Travel writer Theresa Dowell Blackinton shows you the best hikes in and around Washington DC. All hikes within the guide take less than 2 hours to reach by car, with details on public transportation options and clear directions on how to reach the trailhead. Theresa has compiled lists of her favorite hikes, including Best Historical Hikes, Best Kid-Friendly Hikes, and Best for Viewing Wildlife. Let Theresa show you all the worthwhile hikes, from short, flat routes suitable for families to day-long, steep treks for more advanced hikes. Each hike profile contains practical information including point-by-point trail navigation, contact information, facilities, fees, parking instructions, and an easy-to-use map for each trail. From metropolitan DC to Shenandoah National Park and on to Chesapeake Bay, your trip begins with Moon Take a Hike Washington DC.
- Author BiographyTheresa Dowell Blackinton, like many DC residents, is a transplant to the nation's capital. Born and raised in Kentucky, she developed her love of the outdoors while exploring the Bluegrass State with her family. She spent her college years at Rice University in Houston, Texas, but promptly moved away post-graduation, the navigation of Houston's concrete jungle not quite the type of adventure she had in mind. Instead she chose to teach English in Athens, Greece, turning to trails that meandered along gorgeous coastlines, led up pine-covered mountains, and traversed ancient sites whenever she needed a break from the classroom. With her husband, Jeff, Theresa now spends most weekends investigating the hiking opportunities in the DC area -- striking out into the backcountry of Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National Forest, meandering in solitude on trails in Western Maryland, pitching a tent in the sand along the Chesapeake Bay, and discovering the wilderness within city borders. Theresa has contributed to numerous magazines and newspapers, including National Geographic Traveler, The San Antonio Express-News, The Washington Post, The Christian Science Monitor, and The Frederick News-Post. She has also worked as an editor at the Smithsonian American Art Museum. More of her work can be found on her website, theresablackinton.com.
- Author(s)Theresa Dowell Blackinton
- PublisherAvalon Travel Publishing
- Date of Publication16/05/2013
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleMoon Outdoors
- Place of PublicationChico
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAvalon Travel Publishing
- Out-of-print date01/06/2016
- Content NoteColor and B&W photos throughout, Maps
- Weight328 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.